Saturday, June 2, 2012

[in the kitchen] peanut butter squares

 Mini Man is a huge fan of peanut butter.  He loves it on toast every morning and will often have for his lunch sandwiches as well.  A while back we let him have a cheeky spoonful while we made his toast and created a MONSTER!!  Every time we get out the jar he now expects to eat it in much the same fashion one would normally consume yoghurt!!

I have mentioned before he's a big eater but a terribly fussy one when it comes to broadening the menu to incorporate new things.  I love to cook and it breaks my heart that so many of the meals I attempt to dish up to him get sent back to the kitchen!  We are still battling to get him to move on to proper evening meals... but that's a whole other post.  The point being, every so often I manage to get him to try something new & when I saw this recipe in a local parenting info magazine I thought I'd hazzard an attempt to make him a snack that incorporated one of his favourite flavours...

These were a massive hit, we are onto our third batch now, I think they'll stay on the menu for a while.  They are definitely a treat, but at least I know what's in them and we can have fun making them together.  I'm also thinking now that we have the base for this one we can start playing with different dry ingredients for a little variety.  But for now we'll stick to the following...

I cut this one out when I saw it, so I don't have original credit details to offer.

What's in it...
  • 4 tbs peanut butter
    original recipe called for crunchy, I only buy smooth & it worked fine
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 cup powedered milk
  • 2/3 cup dessicated coconut
  • 3/4 cup sesame seeds
 Put it all together...
  1. Line a 20cm slice tin with baking paper.
  2. Combine the peanut butter and honey in a microwave safe bowl & microwave on high for 50 seconds or until a smooth runny consistency.
    this can be done on the stovetop if prefered
  3. Add the remaining ingredients & mix well to combine.
  4. Turn the mixture out into the lined tray & press down.  Let it cool & refrigerate.
  5. When cooled cut into squares.  Best kept refrigerated.
The Visuals...
make it up
the finished product

4 comments:

  1. ooo I just found it! Silly me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found them! I'm getting ingredients to give yours a whirl tomorrow :)

      Delete
  2. Yum!

    Does it even last long enough to need refrigeration? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only if I'm very very very strict on myself Laura!! Mini Man loves it, and eats 4 of the small squares I cut... I could easily eat the rest of the tray in one breath ;) !!!

      I gave some to a friend last week with a cuppa & she suggested it tasted like 'snickers' & would go nicely with some chocolate melted on top - I 100% agree with this idea or maybe the inclusion of some chocolate chips to the mix... DANGER ;)

      Delete