Saturday, February 4, 2012

[in the kitchen] Madras Curry

I love to cook.  I get a great deal of pleasure out of filling the bellies of the BEs (including my own - I love to eat) with tasty, wholesome goodness!  I also love to share meals with friends and family.  I love to share recipes and to try new ones.  In light of these things, many of my posts will revolve around my kitchen...

I discovered this recipe a few years ago, after previously having only prepared curry using prepackaged sauces or curry pastes, I was delighted to discover not only just how easy it was to prepare the paste from the raw' spices, but also how exceptionally tasty it is!  I recommend giving it a go, it really isn't that much work...

Ever since the first time we had this Madras Curry it has remained a favourite on our 'regular rotation'.  The original recipe was made using beef, but in recent discussions with B2 (whilst eating a beef version) it was revealed that he wasn't a huge fan of the beef... so I decided to have a got at lamb instead... I think this will be a regular substitution, it was delish :)

(original recipe credit: Taste.com.au Madras Beef Curry)

What's in it...
  • 2 tablespoons ground coriander
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 2 teaspoons grated ginger
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 tablespoons olive oil (approx)
  • 1kg diced lamb
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 cup beef stock
  • steamed basmati rice,  steamed vegetables & poppadoms to serve
Put it together...
  1. Combine coriander, cumin, turmeric, pepper, chilli, garlic, ginger & lemon juice in a bowl to form a paste, set aside.
  2. Heat oil in saucepan over high heat.  Add half the lamb.  Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until browned.  Transfer to a bowl.  Repeat with remaining lamb.
  3. Reduce heat to medium.  Add spice paste.  Cook for 1 minute, to release the aroma of the spices.  Return lamb to saucepan.  Cook, stirring, until meat is coated with paste.  Add tomato paste & stock.  Bring to the boil.  Reduce heat to low.  Cover.  Cook for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until meat is tender.
  4. Remove lid.  Cook, uncovered, for a further 15 minutes, or until sauce has reduced and thickened slightly.  Serve with rice, vegetables & poppadoms.
Visuals...
Step 1
Steps 2 & 3
Step 4



1 comment:

  1. Looks like Iain is going to add this one to his repertoire… :-)

    ReplyDelete